Make a Donation
Your donation to the Mountain Watershed Association, home of the Youghiogheny Riverkeeper, is one of the most powerful means for you to support the protection, preservation, and restoration of the Laurel Highlands, specifically Indian Creek and the greater Youghiogheny River watersheds.
Your past investment in the area and our work has enabled MWA to:
- Restore over 33 miles of Indian Creek, turning 70% of impaired water into restored streams
- Secure Exceptional Value status, reserved for Pennsylvania's cleanest streams, for Stony Run in the Indian Creek watershed. Champion Creek is being considered for re-designation as a naturally reproducing trout stream, which can afford more protection to the Champion Creek watershed.
- Expand the Indian Creek Valley Trail, this year we successfully fundraised the money needed to build the Steyer Bridge
- Conduct weekly E. coli testing at popular swimming locations around the watershed so you know where it is safe to splash, swim, or paddle
- Conduct quarterly drinking water quality testing at popular roadside springs in the area so you know which springs are safe to use
- Complete the updated Indian Creek River Conservation Plan, a "go-to" document for preservation and protection within the Indian Creek watershed
- Begin work on the Upper Youghiogheny River Conservation Plan: Part 1, Dunbar Creek to Headwaters
- Host Spring and Fall volunteer river clean-ups on the Yough River in West Newton and Connellsville and on the Casselman River in Meyersdale
- Review thousands of pages of permit documents and submit in-depth written comments to suggest improvements for matters ranging from strip mines, air permits for power plants, drilling plans for pipelines, and water discharges with potential to pollute streams